38 Bangkok Street: Restaurant review



The thing about Thai food is I know it pretty well, having been to the country. And that knowledge may have spoilt this place a bit for me. I wouldn't say the food is not authentic (though the nearby Thai Baan does a far better job of authenticity) but it's too simplified, Indianised and a lot of other things. That said, it's a nice place for the low cost and convenient location. And of course, there isn't any other vegetarian Thai restaurant in Mumbai.

Given that vegetarian Thai dishes can be challenging, I'd say the chefs here haven't done a bad job. I went with my colleagues for lunch and we had high expectations. I've had scrumptious Thai curry and soup at high-end restaurants and according to the waiters, the curry here is excellent as well. But we had other things in mind:

Starters (very good)


Cottage cheese naam prik (Paneer in tomato chili sauce)


 This was very good - the paneer texture and the sauce were both excellent. The dish came with lots of spring onions and bell peppers and the quantity was fantastic.

Potato wedges
Normally, they are served with mushroom sauce but since one colleague did not want mushrooms, they made it differently and the result was quite delicious.

Main course (not so good)

Pad Thai noodles


This was were we went wrong. I had fantastic pad thai in Thailand several times and was keen on reliving the taste. But the version served here is a bit too bland and sweet. They need to up the spices and make it more zesty. I suggest you go for the Thai curry and rice - a safer combination that's hard to mess with.

Dessert (decent)

Klau kaek (crispy banana fritters with honey)


I'd had these in Thailand as well and the version here is absolutely authentic. However, they are fried bananas rather than fritters and though we enjoyed it, I prefer my baked and chocolatey desserts any day. I loved the tiny pakoda-type fried bananas in a small town near Bangkok - perhaps they should try replicating that.

Drink (excellent)


The chocolate martini


This one's an absolute winner and a must order. The quantity is great - we could have two martinis between three people. The martini is chocolatey and creamy and THE perfect cooler with a Thai meal.

38 Bangkok Street Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

The complimentary fortune cookie at the end was a really sweet touch and guess what, my prediction actually came true the very same day!


Restaurant rating: 3.5/5

1 comment:

  1. Great information you have shared here, through this post. Thanks and keep sharing such valuable updates through your side.

    Top Best Restaurant in Colaba

    ReplyDelete